Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Worth the time...

I've often thought about the importance we place on our memory. In today's busy world, we have to keep a calendar handy so we won't forget appointments or events or even basic routine stuff that seemed easy to remember when we were younger. I sometimes find it difficult to even recall things that I did yesterday. That "old age" thing must be setting in. But why is remembering so important? Do things we experienced in the past have any place in our today's and tomorrows? My wife and I decided to clean our closets this past weekend. We've never been able to do this without alcohol. But we came through with only a few bruises. We found pictures that took us back to times that were fun but also times that were wrought with sorrow. But the joy we received from those memories is indescribable!

But we can't live in the past! I think it was Einstien that defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". We must approach each new day as an opportunity to create new memories. My plan today is to take a picture of something I saw or did today that is indeed unique and special and put it in the box of memories that I'll open up sometime in the future...perhaps when we decide to clean the closets again...and realize that this was a day that was worth remembering.

Bernie

No comments:

Post a Comment